It's official. I've discovered the best form of discipline EVER. It's called CLEANING. I'm not sure when the moment of insipiration struck, but I am so so so glad that it did. Most likely many of you already know what I've only just learned. But for the past two weeks I've enjoyed a clean living room, an extraordinarily clean toy room, a precisely organized library, wonderfully clean floors and bathrooms, and even a clean car and empty trunk. The girls still receive fair warning when they are getting out of line, but when they can't quite pull themselves out of whatever funk they're in, the new punishment around here is an extra chore. And oh do they hate it. At first the threat to them didn't seem all that big of a deal, but after seeing everyone else in the family do something enjoyable while they were busy cleaning, they are starting to see the error of their thinking. Although I am always hoping for respectful children and a peaceful home, it sure is nice to have such a clean one in the meantime.
Eva constantly asks me, "When is Dad coming back alive?". We believe in a resurrection for all mankind, and know that resurrection to be a part of the Savior's return to this earth. Naki and I have taught and continue to teach that to the girlies. Previous to his death the concept of that beautiful return of the Savior's was vague and somewhat mythical. But now we hope for, prepare for, and anticipate that triumphant return for more than one reason. After asking me this question she'll usually say "I miss Daddy" and then move on, and both of these questions are typically a part of her nightly bedtime routine, a time when his absence is especially noticable. But the other night she altered from her normal questions. After she said I miss Daddy, I asked her specifically what she missed about him. I often ask her this question, and her typical answer is that she misses him tickling her. Her response this time was that she misses Dad bathing her, dressing her, doing her hair, playing with her, reading to her, tickling her, making her bed with her, and putting her seatbelt on in the car. I couldn't believe it! She'd never before been able to verbalize the things that she missed them doing together. I thought that by now because of her young age she for sure didn't remember any details. Instead I thought she remembered the overall feelings that he brought into her mind and heart. Immediately I knew that I needed to write down the things she remembered because of the inevitability of her forgetting them. I can coach her on them, and she'll "remember" those things just because I will have talked to her about them forever, but I thought that it was important for me to make a record of her actually thinking of and remembering them all on her own, especially because she did remember them a good 15 months after they'd not been happening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is my biggest fear at age 33 that I will forget all the things I love most about my Dad. I think about him EVERY DAY, but will I always remember the small things like his VOICE and his JOKES and HIS LAUGH and his GROWLS and his WRINKLED UP NOSE FACE. I AM SO SCARED OF FORGETTING HIM. It has only been 6 months but how am I going to keep them in my heart and mind FOREVER. Abby I LOVE you and THINK of YOU OFTEN...Love Stacy
ReplyDeleteAbby, I can see that mother has near by... I can just see the girls rolling their eyes at you as you are making them clean! There is something about the CLEANness of a home. I am spoiled that I have a lady that needs help to come in and help me clean every other week and when she is cleaning the house is almost spotless and almost almost mind you of the temple and the cleanness of the temple. I remember mother teaching us that if our home is clean the spirit will dwell with in it.
ReplyDeleteAnd I have seen how your house is spotless at all times. God bless you my dear sister for teaching me again another important lesson..
I'm going to try the clean thing too. It sounds like a great idea! You can't beat the bonus of clean!
ReplyDeleteIt's so good of you to write down those things for little Eva. I love that she has memories of her dad still...hopefully they will stay. A few weeks ago her and Kade were having a very in depth conversation about the loss in their lives and I meant to tell you, but I didn't, and now for the life of me, I can't remember...wish I would've written it down. Next time I will, because I'm sure there will be a next time. Those kiddos sure love the ones they've lost.
Love you, Abby. Thanks for being the best example to me.
Such sweet, kind words that touch my heart. Thank you--you are an amazing, inspiring woman and mother. I hope you feel Naki close.
ReplyDeleteI know...I am so with Eva...we miss him, too. Even us, who didn't get the opportunity that we thought we would have to get to know him better. So thankful for the few memories we do have as well as the gifts of the spirit to know that we will get that opportunity sooner than later to continue that friendship.
ReplyDeleteThe knowledge of the Millennium has always brought so much peace and comfort to me throughout my life in dealing with dear ones that have returned to the other side of the veil.
CLEANING has always been a way that I dealt my anger and frustration. That way I was able to release all of my bad energy with the BONUS of a clean and sometimes absolutely spotless (depending on the level of anger) room to boot. GREAT IDEA to implement that into the disciplining of the children.
You and your girlies are AMAZING!! I love it!! And I LOVE each of you so VERY MUCH!
I know you are probably already doing this, but remember that even though the cleaning is a form of dicipline, a little reward for an exceptionally good job wouldn't hurt. Consider taking a photo of the terrifically clean toy room and posting it somewhere, even on your blog, for all to see. They will then surely begin to see what a blessing work can be, even though they don't recognize that is happening to them.
ReplyDeleteAs far as Eva goes, I can still remember my Dad putting me on his shoulders on a particular vacation we took when I was about two years old. That was sixty years ago and I can still remember it like it was yesterday. Helping her cement those memories will be a very good thing.
Love.....
I know that some memories fade...but I also know that some are digitally emblazoned in our memory banks forever. The truth is...all of the memories are there, some we just can't call up when we need them. I suppose that's why we must be careful what we allow to be stored in that sacred place. Your magical gift, sweet Abby, is to have created a sacred (and now ever-so-clean) library where the shelves of memory are dusted and have easy access. You are now beginning to reap the rewards of every carefully planned daddy-memory activtivy both in and out of the home, at tender quiet times and raucous family celebrations!! The girls not only know what their memories are but how to retrieve them...all of us do. Naki may be temporarily otherwise occupied, but he is clearly a part of our daily lives, to include some very real memory-moments for me in the temple last night. Dad and I were invited to attend the endowment session of a beautiful Samoan-Caucasian young woman as she prepares to leave for a mission to Philadelphia, PA. Her father is very Naki-like and clearly the experience brought to mind Naki's dreams and visions for his princesses. God speed, Naki's queen, God speed!! Love, mom/gma
ReplyDeleteI need to remember the cleaning trick more often. I used it on Tanner this weekend and it was effective (and boy, did I need help with the laundry). It's so effective and so helpful! Thanks for the great reminder! I MUST REMEMBER!!
ReplyDelete