Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Oh Gag

Well folks, I have much that I want to write about tonight...quite a bit actually. And I don't want to get too far behind by not keeping my thoughts updated, because we all know my faulty memory. If I don't get it down here relatively quickly after it's happened, it all becomes a blur. But I'm just so exhausted I have to get some sleep. I'm amazed that I can sleep in this bed at all, since it's where Naki died. But as a wise friend told me, there's one difficult memory here, and many, too many to count, wonderful memories. Our bed is our space...where we'd lay after all the lights were turned out and talk in the dark until 2 in the morning. It's where we would lay at night and watch our favorite shows together. It's where we'd wrestle and he'd put all his submission moves that he learned in training while working at the State Hospital on me and I could never ever win any of those wrestling matches. It's where we spent every Sunday night calendaring the upcoming week so our schedules were coordinated. It's where our little munchkins shuffled to in the middle of the night and would then commence pulling all the covers off of us as they slept sideways with their feet on Naki's face and their heads on my lap. It's where we truly grew to understand each other. And lastly, it's the bed he bought me when we couldn't afford it because I was pregnant at the time, and the mattress we had been sleeping on was so bad my pregnant back and hips couldn't take it. I'd resorted to sleeping in the reclining chair beside our bed and he just couldn't stand seeing me so uncomfortable nor could either of us stand sleeping so far apart from each other. Too many wonderful memories to count...so they overtake that one negative and nightmare of a moment and I am able to peacefully sleep.

That is, until last night. Eva decided that not only was she going to crawl into bed with me, but that she'd squirm and twist and turn so that I couldn't sleep. The icing on the cake was when she tossed her cookies all over the pillow we were sleeping on together. Eeeew. After cleaning her up in the bath and stripping and cleaning the bed, she didn't just toss them she lobbed them. Smart me had a bowl ready for round two, so the cleanup was minimal the second time around. We then slept on the bed with our heads where our feet normally go, and even though logically this doesn't make any sense, I felt like the blood was rushing to my brain the whole time, like my head was lower than my feet. I'm pretty sure the bed is level, so I don't get it. Needless to say I woke not very rested. I am going to go to bed and try to catch some sleep before my bed hog joins me.

So I'll try and post tomorrow if I can. I have some really great things that I need to write down. For now, here are a few of the things the kids have said that I wrote down so I wouldn't forget.

Whenever we hear sirens, or see any rescue vehicles, any one of the girls assume the worst. "Mom, somebody died."

I don't know if Eli figured this out on her own or if she heard someone else say it. But she keeps telling me, "I wish Dad were still alive. But it just doesn't work like that."

Eli told me the other night when I was tucking her in bed, "If I feel my heart beating, does that mean it's growing?" At first I thought she was referring to the way her Dad always teaches her to let her heart grow with love. Then it occurred to me that she was expressing her fear that perhaps her heart was growing and she too might have an enlarged heart like Naki did.

Line told me "I feel guilty because I never feel Dad like everyone else." She sounds like me the day after he died. *we're working on her and her guilt issues*

After our pumpkin picking outing at The Red Barn, I was tucking Malia in when she told me, "I know Dad helped me pick my pumpkin tonight." I asked her what that meant and she clarified it for me by explaining that every year she can never find a good pumpkin and so Dad always helps her find the one she has in mind. But this year was different. She said that "I walked right to the perfect pumpkin, and I know that Dad was helping me pick my pumpkin."

I love these girlies so very much.

17 comments:

  1. I love your posts!

    I look forward to hearing your thoughts everyday! Your interactions with the girls and perspective on situations are so well written and fun! I can see why Naki was your biggest blog-reading fan:) It's better than any TV show! And no annoying commercial interruptions! ;) haha!

    Fun bit...Joseph just got back from Wed. night church ball and said that there were 18 guys there tonight!! (WOW!! That was for Naki!) The last 15 minutes Joseph was there they all paid tribute to Naki by trying to sink a basket with Naki's signature shot (one hand behind his head while the other shoots) from the 3 point line, while saying, "This one's for Naki!" Good times...I don't know if any of them made it in the basket! :)

    Well, it's pumpkin hour! Have a great day! And we hope that Eva feels better soon!

    We love you Maile's so much!
    LOADS of HUGS and LOVE!
    Gairyn and the Anderson Gang

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pumpkin story brought tears to my eyes, these girls are truly wise beyond their years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to your posts every day too. It's inspiring to see the truth and love and strength evident in each story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Abby, you guys really have taught them the gospel - for Malia to recognize the spirit out in the world (pumpkin patch) and use it to help her self (comfort) - I'm so impressed with the girls!
    I think you're crazy to wrestle Naki, he did know all those holds. The only people to give him a challenge were Tim, Matt, and maybe all the girls at the same time. I love you and the girls, thanks for taking the time to post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep posting Ab, we're all following...I loathe being tied here and not there. It's incredible to hear the girls' thoughts and as always, yours. Give everyone huge huge hugs from me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow- Your children are so intuitive! You are incredible Abby with all you are going through and how you are handling it. I can't believe what a talented writer you are! You always expressed your thoughts so well during comments made in RS, but to be able to write them is a bit different, and I think it is great!

    We are living in Iowa right now, while Michael is at school, and though it is pooring rain and cold, and my kids are upstairs yelling at eachother, I feel a peace and calm after reading your post. Thanx for that!

    Oh- (just a thought) if you haven't already, you should print or save your posts to your desktop. My friend recently lost ALL of her blog posts (of many years)because of a glich in her program.

    Your Friend,

    Susan Warden

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, too many to count, wonderful memories. i too can see how naki was your biggest blog reading fan:). oh, your girlies. they will surely help you remember what is truly important in life & how you can make it through. you are a very talented writer abby. hope eva feels better super quick. love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I see an ambulance I cringe too. It makes me think of that day with my Nicky. It also makes me think of you and how calm and strong you were and what a comfort that was to me when I truly needed it. You are amazing, Abby!
    I have no doubt that Naki is helping you at this time. It is so wonderful that you all have the knowledge of the gospel and are able to feel those little comforts from the spirit. I'm so glad Malia was able to get her pumpkin and that she could recognize her daddy's hand in that.

    I love you and your girlies so much too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abby-
    I am so grateful for your blog posts. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    Love you!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  10. You inspire me. I just kept checking yesterday, waiting to read a new post from you! I love your girls too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness for little children and thier spirits that are so worthy and close to heaven. AFterall, it wasnt too long ago that they were sent to us from there. You are lucky your girls can feel thier father-that will make thier lives so special forever. Im so amazed and thankful that through the Gospel we can feel the other side of the veil so well. Even thought Naki is gone in Body, sounds like he's not gone in spirit. That is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such wonderful things to write down. Your girls are hilarious and amazing. I didn't discover for several months that Kinley was afraid of drinking too much water because she was afraid she might explode... like I did when my water broke all over the floor! She is still chronically dehydrated!! Both of the kids panicked whenever I had to take Crew in for a routine check up because they were afraid I would have to leave him there, admitted to the hospital. A few weeks after Dex died, Kinley sat up with a happy expression on her face and said, "so, exactly when will Dex be resurrected so that he come come back and live with our family?" I love that Malia recognized the influence of Naki, even though it wasn't a lightning bolt kind of moment. Just so simple, matter of fact. She has an admirable kind of faith and understanding. That's going to serve her so well in her life. I hope everyone liked the roller coasters! Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats funny that Naki would practice those state hospital moves on you. My wife beka is like you and would let me practice those on her. She wasn't the biggest fan either yet supported me also, funny ya'll are. Thank you for sharing the experiences you are having. You and the girls are great examples. You're doing a great job mom maile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Abby,

    It is really good to hear your voice in your posts. I've always known you are a strong woman, but it's just so great to hear it right now. You are a rock. I'm sure Naki is watching & is so proud of you. Your girlies are so lucky to have you.

    Your story about the shoes cracked me up. I'm kind of the same way. I make Ben pick a couple of pairs for me to try on & then decide from there.

    Malia's experience with the pumpkins was so sweet. I hope they never forget that their daddy is close by.

    When our girls were in the NICU & just needing to stay their course, the doctors would say they just needed to "keep on keep'n on". So I pass that on to you, you're doing great, just "keep on keep'n on!"

    Love,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember...two wrestling matches on the bed...with Naki!! He won both matches, of course...but after that, we watched the "Biggest Loser!" When I watch that show, I think of him...Love, Tim/Uncle Tim

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was blessed to spend a night in that bed and felt the sweetest feeling of peace...now I know why... Bless you, darlin'! Love, mom/gma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your posts and am adding you to my sidebar....What a great blog...and
    I love the header....Hope you will stop by my Christmas blog ..there is a great giveaway this week....
    http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/
    http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete