I'm awake...I don't really want to be awake. These days I feel like I could just sleep forever. Almost like I have felt when I was pregnant. Just a different kind of fatigue. But this is the time of day that the girlies have always woken up and are still waking up, so I'm up. I've felt the need to post something for a while, but honestly do not know where I would begin. I think I might just skip the last week for now, and post things as they come to me. I received a blessing years and years ago that told me that I needed to keep a journal and that I should read it in times of discouragement and despondency. Although this isn't the traditional journal and it certainly isn't very private, for now I'll start in here. Naki always loves reading the posts that I write. In fact, if I haven't posted for a while, he lets me know. Apparently he checks, and often. I feel his influence strongly that keeping this going is important. So, I'll do my best.
Yesterday was a difficult day. My parents, brother, and Aunt left for the airport early in the morning. But they did not leave me stranded! They left me with one of the most competant and loving ladies, my sister Ginny. We spent the morning doing our usual morning type things. I can not wait to get routine back into the girls' lives. I think there are great benefits for kids having a routine...always have felt that way. I felt strongly that we should be in church this Sunday. However, our Primary program is today, and what with the crazy chaos of this past week, the girls havn't really had any practice with their Primary. So that meant that I needed to help them get to church on Saturday for the last practice and the pizza party afterwards. I am so proud of these girls. They are obviously struggling with many things right now. But with love and reassurance eventually they were all 4 (primary aged girlies) able to go and sit with their classes. While I was sitting there listening to all the kids, I was finally able to discover the word that adequately describes what I've been feeling lately. I had originally only been able to think of the word Sad, but it just didn't completely match my emotions. It came to me that what I'm actually feeling is disappointment. Acute disappointment. Over the past week I've had some amazing spiritual confirmations on the strength I have in the Lord and the tender mercies that have led up to this most difficult time for me and the girls. But it doesn't erase the fact that there are so many disappointments over expectations for my future experiences that are forever altered. I wonder when that feeling either lessens, which I doubt, or I'm given the strength to cope and combat those heart wrenching emotions.
We came home from the Primary practice and I was so glad that we had gone. Being involved with people socially has never really been my thing, but I'm channeling some Naki lately and am trying to follow his example in that part of my life.
After a much needed nap, which by the way I totally slept through my alarm to wake me up!, we all rushed around getting gear gathered, shoes on, blankets ready, and bottles pre-made for the BYU football game. Thanks to some work I think on my brother Matt Brousseau's part in talking with our family in the BYU football offices, we were able to get some tickets. For me, it wasn't about the actual game, although that is always a fun atmosphere to be in, win or lose. For me it was carrying on an activity that Naki would be doing if he were here. I don't know how that boy always manages it, but he always has a ticket to the games that he never has to purchase! So we had a great time eating in the alumni tent, visiting with Lavell, walking down onto the field, and being able to bow our heads in a moment of silence for our sweet Daddy as they flashed his picture on the replay screen. We eventually made it over to our seats which were perfect. The girls loved being there, but I have to admit, I think their favorite part was being able to eat food from the concessions while we watched. I had anticipated a difficult experience, as far as managing all the kids throughout the game, since not all of them would love watching the entire time. But because of all of my sisters helping me, it was fantastic. Mid-way through the game another batch of family departed for their homes in Idaho. How I'll miss the comfort of having them all near. But I'm grateful for the sacrifices that all have no doubt made on our behalf.
For today, my goal is to make it through church. Naki has always been the one to handle Ane throughout all 3 hours, so that will be new for me. Plus it is always difficult for me to see people's pitying glances. Different things, often unexpected, make me cry. For those of you reading this, remember that just because I'm crying doesn't mean I can't go on. It's one of those most unexpected experiences I've thus encountered...grieving. There are no written rules, just guidelines, left for those going though it to interpret for themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

what a beautiful post Abby. I didn't get to talk to you at the service, but it was just so beautiful. Perfect in every way. the most wonderful service i've ever been to, if one can say that. I mentioned to Gin, What a proud moment yesterday for Naki. I can't imagine how that would feel for him, to have that whole stadium of people honoring him.
ReplyDeleteMy grandma has been without my grandpa for a number of years, and she has always said something I think is so true: "If you marry a prince, you lose a prince." That always helped her feel justified in missing him as much as she has... understanding that it hurts more because he was such a great man (along with the other 'disappointments' that would go along with his not being around.)
Everything you are doing is right and good. I'm soooooo glad that you guys had your blogs... what a treasure to read his words, and yours. I love you very much, as well as Gin, Katie, your mom and all the rest of that crazy family of yours! You are never alone. ...and I promise I won't leave comments this long in the future ;)
I'm very grateful that your extended family has been such a blessing. We've been praying for you nonstop.
ReplyDeleteI love you Abby and am greatful for you. Naki's service was amazing, I have never been to a viewing and funeral like that before. My eyes were opened to the plan of "happiness" or salvation like it never had been.
ReplyDeleteKolei and I had a great talk on the way back to St. George talking about you, Nox and the girlies and the St. George trip and just what a cool family you have. I love you and your strength and am amazed by your spirit.
We love you and the girls. I am sure the girls did awesome in their program today- can't wait to read your post about it.
xoxo Nisi
Once again, Abby, you amaze me! I have always looked to you as such a great example. You are just so good, so strong, so amazing. I'm so glad you made it to the game and got to have that moment to honor Naki. I'm so glad you made it to the primary program. It would not have been the same without your girls and their precious testimonies on eternal families. Please know that we are here for you always and love you and your sweet girls so much!
ReplyDeleteDear Abby,
ReplyDeleteNo pitying glances, just extreme love for you, Naki and the girls. Your thought are inspiring and enlightening. So many have been prompted to try harder, love more, and continue on paths of righteousness and goodness. Thank you for such a tender post.
Abby
ReplyDeleteIt has been a many great years since we last saw each other. For a number of months, you have been on my mind. Waiting for the day we would reconnect and tell you how thankful I am that you have been a part of my life. You were always a great example to me and I have some very dear memories of times we spent together. I just learned the news from Trisha's blog and my prayers are with you and your beautiful family. Family are forever and I know you are so grateful for this right now. I'm sure the primary program went wonderful. You have always been a been a strong woman. Remember that most people don't know what to say, so they may just give you the pity glance. Naki will always be with you. Please stop my blog and drop a line.... we have a lot of catching up to do!
Always, Melissa (Baird) Skinner
Abby, One thing my mother told me after such an expperience happened to her. After i headed off to school she would turn music on and dance. She and dad loved to dance. And she would cry. It is alright to cry. It is what you do after to makes you who you are. You are strong, Abby, stronger than you may have ever known. It is ok for all of you to cry...but then laugh, play, smile and live. I love you guys and I am not far away. Beth
ReplyDeleteI wish we could be out there with you to honor Naki this last week - we really wanted to be. I can definitely feel the strength of your spirit through your words, so I hope you can feel the love we have for you and your family through mine.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to hearing about your lives, the good the bad, the struggles and the triumphs, and how you and the girls grow from it all.
Love you,
Lisa and the rest the Petersons
Like I said, you guys will always be in my prayers! Love, Tim/Uncle Tim
ReplyDeleteOh...I just love that..."cry...then laugh, play, smile and live!" Our best moments thus far have been when we've done just that! So...let's keep on cryin', laughin', playin', smilin', and livin'!! ...because we can!! Love, mom/gma
ReplyDeleteAbby, I can't say much more than how your very life is an amazing testimony of the grace of God. I am blessed just from the simple reading of your heart! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteLoving you,
Kasey McCaffrey Ware
Oh Abby - I just love you so much. You somehow still manage to seem composed and very articulate. I know that you are going through the trial of your life, but through it are still an amazing example and older sister to me. Although it's not ideal, you should know that there are MANY people watching you and learning from your example. You are gracious and kind and thoughtful through all of your pain and sorrow. Know that we love you and are here for you. This is Katie by the way. Imagine Matt saying this stuff to you!! Little laugh through tears right?
ReplyDeleteAbby,
ReplyDeleteOur love for your family is so strong. Thank you for being such a great example to us all. We are not pitying you...just wishing we could lessen your pain. I think disappointment is definitely the right word. I know you had many plans for your future with your prince of a husband and it must be heartbreaking to realize the future will be much different than you expected it to be.
Know that we love you. If you ever need help with the girlies in church there are so many of us that are there to help. Earl has a deep love for Naki and your family. He would be honored to help with Ane if you ever need him to.
Thank you for your tender post and for being willing to share such a meaningful time in your life with the rest of us.
Love,
Teri
I came across this blog via a friend of mine. I know this is a hard experience for you, and I want to send you my condolences. Like you mentioned in this post, you will get through this, and with faith in the Lord you will TRIUMPH. 20 years ago, my father passed away suddenly leaving my mother with 5 young children to raise. I was the youngest at 3 and my oldest sister was 16. Life for my mom has been a hard, hard journey, but she is the strongest, most faithful woman that I have ever known. She stuck her faith in the Lord and she has never been alone or without a helping hand in ANYTHING she has stood in need of. Talking to her about her experience has shown me that the Lord will never allow you to carry this on your shoulders without hundreds of helping hands. Some days will be hard, but the Lord will bless you. And actually there are countless scriptures that state that widows will be blessed and always taken care of. Take comfort in those scriptures. You will see that promise fulfilled countless times for the rest of your life.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I hope this gives you strength or comfort knowing you are not/won't be alone. I'm so sorry, again, for your loss. But I know you will become someone great and strong because of it.
Abby,
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you remember me, but I was in your ward in State College, Lyndsay Peper (Detro now). I know our mom's keep in contact. I've followed your blog for awhile now. I love reading what you have to write and following all your experiences. You have an amazing family!! I've learned many things from you and have been comforted in many ways from things you have written. I am grateful for the things you have shared on your blog and for the experiences you have allowed us to see.
I really wanted to come to the service on Friday, but things did not work out for me to come. I wish your family all the best. I admire your strength and what an amazing mother that you are. Thank you for sharing all that you have.
Sincerely,
Lyndsay Detro
Hi Sis, It's Scott.. I just have to say I have been praying for you to keep posting, THIS is a wonderful book you are writing. WOW WOW WOW you sure are the strenght that WE all need WOW.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Scott
Hi Abby. We met you when we lived at the Amiron apartments before we started going to the Tongan ward. Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know that I've been reading some of your blog posts and wanted to let you know that I am touched because of your strength and it has strengthened my faith.
ReplyDeleteWe were able to attend the funeral service, it was actually my birthday and it was beautiful. It made me think about what an incredible example Naki was, and allowed me to reflect on my own life and how I want to be remembered and the changes I want to make in my own life.
And even though we didn't get the chance to get to know you all as well as we would have liked to, I appreciate the example that you both have set. I am grateful that you have such a great family support to help you throughout this difficult time in life.
Your girls are beautiful!
We are so blessed to have the knowledge of the plan of salvation and eternal families through this incredible gospel. Know that Naki will be watching over you all and anxiously waiting to reunite with his family once again. Our prayers continue for you and your family.
Ofa lahi atu, Rina Brown
Abby-
ReplyDeleteYour strength radiates- thank you! Thank you for your post, and allowing all of us a glimse into this time for you. Your girls are going to get through this because they have you as a mother. Your faith in the Lord and desire to get them into a routine is miraculous. We all care for you and the girls very much, and continually pray for you.
Thank you again,
Susan Warden
Hey Sis, I think it's really noble of you to continue to keep this journal because you know it's something Naki would want you to do - it must be tempting to do otherwise. Jackie's and my time there was too short and we both wish we could be of more service. In addition to wanting to help, I miss the girls. I wish I could be there to play with them and make them smile and laugh - I'll do my best from here. I've thought of you often since we left Abby.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful and wonderful post. I admire your strength, courage, but most especially your faith. Mary Ellen and I think of you often and pray for you and your precious girls. You are awesome.
ReplyDeleteAbby, I love you so much. Your beautiful strength and peace are so awe inspiring. We are here for you whenever, whatever, and always! Miss you Nox, we are taking care of each and everyone of your pretty ladies.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to see you posting again. I wish I could have come to show my support on Friday, but the swine flu has been raging through our house for more than a week, so I kept our germs away. You are an amazing woman, Abby, and I'm so inspired by you. Always have been, always will be. Grieving can be so.... complicated. Just know that whatever you feel, good, bad, expected, unexpected, they are all normal. Someone once said to me "I don't think anyone would ever get OVER something like this, but with the Lord's help, you can get THROUGH it." You have a journey ahead of you that you will handle in the Abby Way: with grace, dignity, and honesty. Naki will continue to check on your blog, I feel sure of it. And the rest of us blog devotees will too. :)
ReplyDeleteBabs,
ReplyDeleteI am absolutely amazed. Each of us has known others that have had trials. Difficult times that they didn't feel that they could get through. In the end, their ability to do so always came through dogged determination and steadfast faith and obedience. I have never in my life known anyone that radiates those qualities like you do. It has always been that way. Even when we were little. I know that as it says throughout the scriptures that ALL things happen for very specific reasons, even when we don't understand them. Please know that you are loved more than you could know by our family, all of us. We are not physically close by but please call on us for anything, anytime. Our phones are always on. Love always......Your big brother.
Abby,
ReplyDeleteI miss you so much and I'm only sorry that we weren't able to stay with you longer. Please don't ever hesitate to ask for anything!! You truly are a strength...it's absolutely amazing to me. I couldn't help but stare at you several times throughout both services. I can't even put my admiration for you into words. I know that in the pre-existence we not only knew about but agreed to the trials we are blessed with in this life. I know why I agreed to the trials that I have faced in my life because there are so many others that I just don't know if I could handle...what an INCREDIBLE example you are!! It is my personal experience and opinion that so many times we are given a trial only 25% for our own growth and knowledge and 75% for everyone else's. I know that even just in our own home this has completely changed our plans and goals for the future. So many things that seemed so important dropped to the bottom of the priority list in the last week while the things that have eternal importance went to the top. I love you and those beautiful girls! Know that you are in our constant prayers!! Love, Kami :o)
Abby, my heart goes out to you and your sweet family. I attended the temple on Friday and put your family on the prayer roll. Your strength is admirable. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
ReplyDeleteAbby,
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me, but a friend of mine is close to your family. I started reading your blog last week and felt inspired. I can't explaine it, but I've been deeply touched by your story. I lost my husband three years ago. We were only married for 3 years and no children, but I know what this type of loss feels like. The strength you radiate is so admirable!! It makes me want to be stronger and focus on my blessings and not the disappointments. I want to thank you for helping me. I know you can't see it right now, but your strength is blessing many people and in turn, the Lord has many great blessings in store for you and your family. I know the Lord has used you as a tool to strengthen my testimony and I thank you for lifting me during this difficult time in your life.
Thinking of you and your family. So sorry to hear of your loss. You are a strong and beautiful person.
ReplyDeleteAn old PV friend
Abby, as I am reading your blog I feel your disappointment, pain at times and sadness. You are so right about the pity glances at church. I still can't get over that...but it's getting a bit easier. I am so glad your sister stayed behind. After everyone leaves it's the hardest time, the Alone feeling. If you ever want some company...I'll like to take you to lunch sometime to "get out". We love you and your girlies.
ReplyDeleteThe primary program was wonderful and I absolutely loved seeing your "girlies" in it. And I am happy to see you journaling. I don't think I have ever told you that I am an avid journal writer. I think I have filled up almost 30 journals!!! I am telling you this because I know what a blessing it can be and also it is a good way to release. Thank you for being so kind as to let me be a part of your blog now and always :)
ReplyDelete