Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hymn 124

I have the worst memory. Ever. I hate that part of my brain that swears it's going to remember something, and then when I try and recall it, it has disappeared for good. So I started trying to make lists for myself in my phone of things I need to remember. One such list is a list of spiritual promptings I receive. I know that God speaks to me, and I hear Him, often. The problem is that after I've heard him, I then go on with my day, and when the end of the day rolls around all that He has said to me I have forgotten. How in the world am I supposed to grow and discover what He's trying to teach me if I never can remember what it was He said? The list has really helped me more than I thought it would. Now...if I can just remember to check it periodically!

One Sunday I was playing the piano in Relief Society, Hymn 124, Be Still My Soul. I remember while playing it that the words were especially calming to my soul that was at the time in upheaval, as it is again now. After I finished playing I wrote, "Read Hymn 124" on my list. Only now, tonight, did I sit down and read the words. They brought such peace to my mind, heart, and spirit, and I only wish I'd read them earlier. I think I may try and memorize them.

1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Despite my bitterness, resentment, fear, anger, dread, exhaustion, confusion, guilt, etc etc, I have to believe what this song teaches. Better yet, I have to believe what God's Spirit speaks to my heart when I read the words. I need to memorize it so that in my difficult moments, I can recite it to myself and balance out my negative thoughts with these sweet and calming positive ones.

8 comments:

  1. One of my new favorite songs...it hit me hard one day too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful song. So many different versions of it too! I have a little hymn book and EVERY time we sing a song and I get that feeling, I write the day and location down in my hymn book. It helps me so many times. I end up cross referencing lessons and even my own talks with it. When I was a young woman's leader, and earned my necklace, I had to pick a song and learn more about it. #219: Because I have been Given Much. Believe me... that page in my hymn book is marked up for all the memories it holds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this hymn, too! When I was RS chorister I thought I probably picked it too often. I am always struck by the words and wanted everyone to have the chance to feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Be still and know that I am God" is one of my favorite scriptures- which obviously relates to the song! The words to the song really are beautiful- thanks for writing it out for me to actually read and think about the words also. Good idea on memorizing it. I need to also do the same. My aunt has memorized inititories(SP?) at the timple and says them to herself when she is feeling her self worth is where it shouldn't be. Just thought I would share that since the memorization thing reminded me of it and I know you have struggled with self-esteem :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Ab. I really needed that this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah...magically...the answer to the question I posed in the last email... I suspect, dear one, that remembering the details of what God speaks to you is less important than the collective feeling He distills upon your heart...Love, mom/gma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the forgetful side, alas, comes from me. Sorry about that. Regarding the hymn, I think one of the marvelous qualities of this hymn, and others, is that it seems to apply specifically to us when someone else, in entirely different circumstances, is feeling that it applies specifically to them. Such is the eternal quality of inspired counsel, whether it comes int the form of music or some other way.

    ReplyDelete