Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Daddy's Jack-O-Lantern

After Line and Malia's volleyball practice one day we made a quick stop at the cemetary to take Daddy's pumpkin and treats to his grave. He is the master pumpkin carver, and was always carving the scariest pumpkins, freehand, to impress all us girls who usually chose to carve silly faces on ours instead. So the last year he was alive he was quite pleased with himself when he managed to surprise us all by carving a "Y" for BYU instead of the usual frightful face. We loved it, of course! I decided it was only right to bring one to the cemetary for him this year, as well as his most favoritist treats EVER, Reeces Peanut Butter Cups. We lit the candle, sang our traditonal song that we always sing after we've lit it, and sat down and ate some treats together. It was quick, chilly, and perfect. I really really really miss him, and can't wait for the day when I don't have to feel sad anymore. Today the sorrow and grief feel a bit overwhelming, but I remember that day it didn't. We were all laughing, and totally loving scarfing down our treats. Happy pumpking carving, Babe. Hope you liked yours.





6 comments:

  1. oh i love that you did that for you & your girls!:) i hope you continue to feel lifted up, supported & loved by your Heavenly Father & all your "family" around that loves you. i know we love you & are always here. seriously girl, just stop by. i'm here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, I know you do these posts for you...and I love reading them. I just wanted to thank you so much. Your words bring such inspiration to me. You are amazing to me and you really help me get through some tough times. So thank you for being such an amazing mom. Mark and I would love to come see you some time. we will keep in touch. Are you Provo. email me at bubbatrish@hotmail.com.

    Trish Houser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your girls are so beautiful and I love the pumpkin. You are doing such a great job with helping your girls remember their awesome dad! Your blogs helps me so much to not take anyone for granted, especially my hubby!! Thank u :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I MISS YOU GUYS. I love that you did that for him, it was perfect. I know how hard that all was for you and I love you for pushing through yet again...love you so much.

    Gin
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Abby thank you I just learned another thing from you about Naki and I will always eat my peanut butter cups in memory of Naki... WHAT a wonderful example you are to me. WHAT a wonderful memory you are holding on to... MY dear as painful as it is to you.. think about the fun time and the wonderful times and the joyful times and well I just think the pain will leave you. I am so thankful that you are the person you are and for the life that our Heavenly Father has given you. Peace will come. I will say it 1000 more times you are a pioneer and you my sister are a true inspiriation to me!!! LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  6. Times like that have to pretty hard, I think, but worth it. I am so proud of you for how darn strong you are and how true to staying the course. God bless you and the girls.

    ReplyDelete