Thursday, September 30, 2010

Confession

Several months ago I received the strongest impression that it was time for me to get started on one of the new responsibilities that Naki's death has brought into my life...working. I bucked at the idea, hid from it, and yelled about it mentally until I knew I could avoid it no more. At first I was trying to figure out what to go back to school for. After several weeks at studying it out with zero results that felt right, it occurred to me that it would be just fine if I worked part time right now until I figured it out. I immediately emailed the Principle at the girlies' school to inform him that I was looking for a part time job. I find no coincidence that my impressions to start working, and at the school, resulted in a job almost immediately. The situation is perfect. It is a job that requires no preparation on my part. I am a teacher's aide in the Kindergarten. Eli is in Kindergarten this year, and so I am lucky that they are allowing her to shadow me for an hour after her class is excused, as I have to stay an hour later after she would normally go home. I cannot get used to not being at home, even if it's only for 4 hours in the morning, with my two littlest ones. It is the worst feeling to be apart from them. By the time I get home they are going down for a nap, and then when they wake I no longer have any one on one time with them since their sisters are home from school. I shouldn't complain. It is very hard for me nonetheless. As a result I can't work out after the girls go to school like I did last year. That's why the only time slot I have for exercise is before the whole day even begins.

I'm ashamed to confess that since working out on Monday morning I have been unable to arise so dang early. How am I going to fit it in to my schedule? The reason I'm unable to wake up so early is obvious to me because it's not a new one. By the time I get all the kid's in bed after doing all our responsibilities, dinner, baths, and reading, I'm pooped. All I want to do is veg and do nothing for an hour or two. When I go to bed immediately after the girls do it makes me feel like I'm running in a rat race, knowing that I'll only wake up in what feels like an instant, to start the whole process over again. I have learned that in order to survive my life I need time to be Abby, not just Mom. And so I use that time after they go to bed to read a book, study, write in my journal (my blog), or watch television. I feel like the only way I could possibly wake up so early would be if I went to bed earlier, and I don't know that I'm willing to sacrifice the only time I have for myself. This is my confession for the day.

Eli also had a confession this morning, but not in words as much as an overwhelming, powerful, and suffocating smell of my perfume. She was supposed to be collecting the laundry, and instead came to breakfast with almost visible cloying whorls of Chloe Narcisse, the perfume I used to wear but haven't for some time. When we first got married Naki always used to make choking sounds and motions when he'd walk into the bathroom after I'd sprayed it. I learned that a small dose goes a long way. Eli thinks I have spies around the house. She is amazed at my ability to tell what she's been doing when I couldn't see her! Now I'm the one walking around, making choking sounds and motions every time she walks by me.

Maybe I should somehow apply the perfume concept of a little goes a long way to my time at night. Instead of two hours alone I'll have to suffice with a half hour...I don't know if it'll be enough, but I guess I can try it.

13 comments:

  1. You are right! Whenever kids go down, any parent needs me time. Time to relax and do things they want to do but don't have time for during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to find a solution to the working thing that is able to keep you as close to your girls as possible. It's definitely not a coincidence indeed. I do wish there was some way for you to get your workout time, one on one time with your girlies, and that much needed, much deserved Abby time too. My mind is working on the logistics of it, but you know I'm determined to help you, my dear friend. We will chat. I love you, Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's great that something part-time opened up so fast for you & so close to your girlies. i'm sure not being home with the little ones is rough. but you'll make it all work. you're a great mom abs. love you. here if you ever need to chat or drop off some girls:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun job - I would LOVE to have an aid in my room this year (I'm teaching Kindergarten here in Hawaii, I'm not sure you know that....). And I totally know what you mean about the winding down time - I have to have it too and as a result I'm up WAY too late, but if I don't spend some time to myself before bed I can't get to sleep or I just don't sleep well, so I guess it all balances out. Now if I just didn't need so much time to prep for each day of school.... Ahh, next year. Hope you have fun with those little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...the part time job. I just started working this year, too. Luckily it is during school hours, but it feels so weird to not be home getting things done when the kids are away. And (like Lisa) I also stay up too late at night. Just need that time after the kids are in bed!

    Have fun in Kindergarten!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are lucky to find this job. I know how you feel about leaving your little ones :( unfortunately to many of us mothers have to work even if it is only part time. I work part time and I miss my kids every minute I am away. I also get the Late night time because I too do the same thing. :) You are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are doing a great job!! WHat a blessing to be with your girls at their school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny to read this because I too just started a job at my kids school...in the pre-k / kindergarten room as the teacher's aide. And my youngest, Abigail, is in there with me. Weird, huh? So glad the Lord gave you the perfect job for this moment in your life. I know how hard it must be to be away from your little ones in the morning, though. And fitting in the time and squeezing out the energy to get that workout in daily is something that I struggle with, too. Early morning is simply the only way to go for me because I just can't force meet the added challenge at night after they have gone to bed. Thinking of you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom is now getting up at 3:45am every morning so she can work out and still get to work when she feels she needs to. When she gets up that means that Tim and I are at least partly awake if not all the way awake. It is pretty fun; you should try it sometime. As far as the working goes, I believe that in spite of the drawbacks, it will be a tremendous blessing to the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great "connecting-of-the-dots" between the perfume and your nighttime dilemma! A little goes a long way...or as the Prophet Joseph says..."Moderation in all things!!" Oh, oops, goodnight...it's 8:00!! Love, mom/gma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless your wonderful, sacrificing heart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That last comment is just what I needed. But not for working out- for just going to bed earlier. Try it and see what happens, it's always worth a try! You will be blessed for trying.

    ReplyDelete