Saturday, May 29, 2010

No Limits

Today was magnificent. We celebrated my nephew's high school graduation today. For some, this means a little get together, some visiting, maybe a game or two, and calling it good. For my Maile family, this means starting cooking at the park in the wee hours of the morning, snacking a bit on the nummy food as they cook. It means that we just had to get over to the park and play with all the cousins as soon as possible while the cooking continued. There were donuts for breakfast munchies, playground games and sliding/swinging, tree climbing, roller blading, skooters and bicycles, softball games, massages, lunch snacks, and families just hanging out as the morning moved into the afternoon. I eventually had to run the two littles home for naps while I showered, and then quickly headed back over to discover that water fights had occurred during my absence. The official party started soon after, where there was more hanging out together, eating, and tons more playing, including volleyball games, and lots more softball. Of course, we got hungry after all that playtime and so then nibbled just a bit more. Eventually, as the sun begins to set clean up and round up of all the things scattered around from the fun day begins. Everyone is dirty, giggly, sometimes whiney, but always happy. It just doesn't get any better.













Being with this amazing family, I know I've mentioned before, is the best thing for us. It feels the most whole to me. It's the closest I ever feel to Naki...ever. Without him on a daily basis feels to me like I'm a cup that no matter how hard I try I can never fill up to the top. When I'm surrounded by all of my Maile family it feels like my cup is filling up...never to the top, but filling up some.

I've been somewhat frustrated since Naki died that despite how soothing it feels to have this time with them, after everyone leaves and goes home I actually end up feeling worse, or my cup even less empty, than I did before we got together. I realized this evening why that is. When all my in-laws go home, they all go home with a tangible piece of that Maile pie with them. I, do not. Before, when we'd all depart from some fun-filled time spent together, Naki and I would come home together and, as corny as this sounds, glory in such amazing time spent as a family. We would unwind by discussing the different conversations we'd held with different family members throughout the day, fill each other in on something the other didn't know about what any particular child may have said or done, laughed as we recalled a funny moment, or just enjoyed sitting side by side relaxing after getting all the dirty children cleaned and in their beds. Those times after our Maile family get togethers is what I'm missing. Without it I feel such a let down after such precious and enjoyable time spent with my family. It doesn't seem to me to be the appropriate emotion after feeling it's complete opposite just minutes or hours before. Tonight I discovered a new habit of mine, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit it. I realized that during that missing Naki unwind time I've felt the urge to text his brothers and sisters to tell them just a snipet of what I'd usually be telling him...a really small snipet, but a snipet just the same. So guys, sorry for always texting you after every get together to gush over all of you just to tell you how much I adore each and every one of you. But you mean everything to me, and by answering those texts you've helped, once again, to lessen some of the pain that I feel in missing my Baby.

Tonight as I was struggling I was praying to God and then talking to Naki. I just wanted to relieve some of my frustration to them both. All the pressure and stress of his absence came weighing down on me. The idea entered my mind and heart to sit down and read the scriptures. I do this all the time, but usually my free reading time at night I try and read some of the gospel study books I have, or really, any of the material I'm constantly combing over since Naki died. But despite how much I wanted to read those things, the thought just came to me very quietly yet resolutely, read the scriptures.

Okay. I can do that...if I could just stop crying long enough to see what's written, that is. Since Naki died I've been using his scriptures to read at night. It's amazing all the cross references and notes he has in there. I love reading what he's written. It helps me feel connected to him. He has all these sticky notes throughout his scriptures because there's just not room enough for him to write all of his amazing notes in the margins. :) I sat down and started reading, just randomly picking a spot. I'd been reading for several minutes, not really sure why I had felt so calm about the fact that I should sit down and read this very minute, when I turned the page to continue. I discovered a new sticky note, which was strange since I thought I had seen them all. Usually there is an outline to these notes, but this one is scripture references starting at the top and circling around the edges. But written smack dab in the center of it, he wrote these words. "DON'T LIMIT GOD!!", underlined twice. I couldn't believe it. I knew instantly as I read those words, that the impact they had on me in that precise moment was the exact reason I was supposed to have been reading my scriptures tonight. Both Naki and God were able to give me a slight chastising to all the griping I had been doing just moments before...how lovely. Two fer one. How perfect. But the truth in that statement I can not deny. God is limitless, and I would be better for remembering it in my down moments like these.

15 comments:

  1. Abby, i looove reading your blog. your personal revelations, your struggles, looking at beautiful pictures of you family. and yes, how lovely that Naki & God were able to give you a little chastising:) so glad you ladies have such amazing family:). you're an amazing woman Abby. we love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Especially today, when I am writing my talk for Sacrament Meeting on Personal Revelation. Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your life, and for the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abs, I am so glad you have such a wonderful support system. Reading about the Maile family outing and what a wonderful time you had there was great to hear and comforting, too. Your account of your evening made me reflect on a story by Hugh B. Brown called (I think) the Currant Bush. If you get a chance, track it down and read it. There are some great lessons in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dad, I could almost resight the currant bush for Abby.. I think that is one thing you and Mom taught us so well. ABBY I am crying here reading this post.. You are just so amazing.. WHAT the Lord is teaching you and the lessons you are learning you are teaching all of US... Love you.. How did your race/run go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of the girls up in the tree is so cool! I love it!

    How great that you have Naki's scriptures with all his comments and notes! Thanks, for the thousandth time for sharing some of your insight and wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love reading your blog! My husband (Steven Falatea) and Naki are cousins on Aunty Tise's side. We think of you and your beautiful girls often. You truly are an inspiration to us. Thank you & we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby - I'd like to echo the sentiments above of how much of an inspiration your blog is... for me who has only known you and most of the Davis family through Scott...it brings a special joy to know what great family and role models he has in you all.
    For me as a "newlywed" it's a blessing to see how close you are to Naki's family--as they are your family. I spent today at my family's house but we took John's parents' along--I was sitting there and the thoughts of how much of a Corman I am and always will be was in my mind...but I also am continuing the realization that I"m a Stephens now...and the joy that brings me.

    Anyway--just wanted to let you know I do enjoy reading your blog and think of you and your girls often. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will try to remember that sticky note message in troubled times...thank you, Naki! Love, mom/gma

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are truly blessed to have such wonderful family on both sides and to have such a great relationship with them. I'm so glad you have those moments with Naki's family. I love how you described everyone as "dirty, giggly, sometimes whiney, but always happy." That's exactly what your sweet family deserves-happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you have these little pieces of Naki to hold close to your heart. Those sweet girls and Naki's family will continue to provide you comfort and a connection to that part of you that belongs only to him. Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Abby please dont ever stop texting snipets of what you are thinking or wanting to express. I love talking, texting, and just being around you period! And that goes for Jr. also. I'm reading your post out loud to Jr. and Misi and Jr. is bragging about what a awesome writer you are. So Misi is now a new reader to your blog. Great post as always. Love, love, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your amazing! Your growth, knowledge, and understanding will never seize to astound me. The strides you've made in such a short amount of time (through such an excruciating experience) is simply phenomenal! You don't only endure your trial, you endure it well. By looking and searching for comfort, answers, and facing life head on. I'm thankful to know you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Ab, I would love to hear more from time to time about what Naki has written in his scriptures if you're comfortable sharing. I too am so glad that you are surrounded by family. It reminds me of how stubborn Naki was about movin away from there :). Turns out it was a very good thing. Love you and I miss the girls :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Abby, I want you to know what an inspiration you are to me. I came across your blog soon after your husband passed and you leave me with hope and strength to get thru my days. You are a strong women and I want to tell you thank you. Thank you for strengthening my testimony, thank you for making me a better person thank you for all your wonderful uplifting messages... I shed tears every time I read your blogs but I looked forward to reading them.. You and your daughters amaze me and I hope one day as I have my own family I can be amazing wife and mother as you. The light of Christ shines thru you, and even know I dont know you personally, I feel blessed to read your thoughts thru your words...
    Mahalo nui loa,
    Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Abby!
    I don't know if you remember me but I'm Debi Barneck from Ogden. I emailed you awhile ago about having your husbands family come and do a fireside for us at our girl's camp. I haven't heard back from anyone (I know you are all so busy :)) Do you think they would be interested? I'm still looking for someone for the night of Thursday 24th of June. It's fast approaching...
    Would you or someone in the group please call or email me as soon as possible? Thanks so much and by the way, this post was beautiful. I'm so inspired and touched by your faith...Love, Debi

    ReplyDelete