Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Hard Habit to Break

I really love General Conference. I really do. The truth is, I haven't heard a lick of it since Line was born. I don't know how you other Mothers out there do it, but between trying to help the kids learn the importance of listening to conference reverently, and trying to help them learn the concept of listening to the Spirit for personal inspiration in their lives while simultaneously wrestling whomever are the two youngest at the time, I end up not really hearing any of the messages. I'm banking on the fact that I'm receiving super blessings for my efforts in attending each and every session I can, and that some day I'll miss the wrestling and lack of reverence. But amidst all the chaos today, one thing was notably missing.

Naki singing along with all the hymns.

His absence is so painful on so many different levels. But today's level is the worst...the physical absence. Sometimes it's emotional, spiritual, goofy, routine, tradition, etc. Physical. Today's is so hard to experience, and is a difficult feeling to describe. I can actually feel the missing of him in the tips of my fingers, on the surface of my lips, the ringing of my ears, and the lack of the weight of his arm across my shoulders. As I was trying to process this feeling, it occurred to me that I'm experiencing withdrawal the way any of us do when we quit a habit, good or bad. This isn't just me missing him mentally, it's an actual physical sensation in my body as it tries to adapt to the withdrawals of Naki. When I get like this, it's best for me to avoid all things that trigger it even more, just like an alcoholic, drug addict, or food addict would. No pictures, sounds of his voice, smells, music, or familiar sites.

This weekend really didn't help any...it was the annual BYU Football Alumni Dinner, which Uncle Jr's band was playing at this year. I wanted to skip out so badly. It seemed more than I could do. But in keeping with what the therapists counseled in regards to keeping traditions as consistent for the girls as possible, I knew we had to go. They love going! It seemed so empty and almost pointless to be there without him. But the girls were ecstatic to go, eat, visit and give hugs to all those big football players, and dance to their uncle's music. Needless to say, not the best situation for my withdrawals. Then to have Easter and General Conference in the same weekend seems torturous and just plain awful. I feel like I have a siren and a big flashing light in the center of my chest that is just calling out to him, and it continues to beckon unceasingly with no response. PLEASE just make the pain go away.

I. Can't. Do. This. Much. Longer.

22 comments:

  1. I am an anonymous yet faithful reader... And all I can say is "you are loved" and there are so many of us empathizing with you, rooting for you, and praying for all the strength you need. Myself and many others reflect and learn from your words and experiences. Your pain and suffering is tremendous and you are a warrior. Each day when you accomplish something and wake up for your kids you prove that! Thank you for being an open book--- you have made me want to have more courage in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I could you a huge hug! Sometimes there simply aren't words, and for me this is one of those times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers everyday! I know the Lord will provide the strength you need just when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby -

    One step at a time, and one happy thought to balance the hard ones. I know in my heart you can absolutely do this. Great talk from the General Relief Society President today (in case you couldn't hear it :) with maybe something that might help? I love you tons. Always here with a listening ear and helping hands whenever I can...

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abby, some day I hope to meet you, and some day I will write you a letter and let you know who I am. I want you to know I admire you for being able to write such powerful words that have truly inspired me. You are the only one that I know who is experiencing the same things I am. Although I'm older than you, this greeving thing is pretty much the same. Every day I feel broken and empty and I cant believe this has happened to me. My husband was an amazing man and I'm so lost without him. He died two months before your dear husband due to a tradgic accident.I have break downs every day , some days are worse than others and It's always hard to pretend I'm OK when I'm not. I do feel very blessed because of the wonderful circle of family and friends I have and I don't know what I would have done without them. Every time I read your blog I feel like you're living with the same kind of sadness as I am. I even have those same tiny bugs that are like fruit flys that I can't get rid of! Also sense the day of the funeral I've had his wedding band on a gold chain around my neck. Their are so many other things that you've gone through that are the same. I hope and pray that some day yours and my life will be better. I'm sorry my words to you arn't uplifting like yours are to me . Thank you for being the sweet and beautiful person you are. Take care of you and yours and please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You.Can.Do.This!

    I can not imagine what you and your lil' famiy are going through, But...I know and you know our Heavenly Father does. He has felt your pain.
    I'm sure Naki is happy to be where he is right now...but i'm sure it pains him to see his girls suffering, grieving, and wondering "Why? Why now? Why me? Why us?" BUT, i bet you ANYTHING He is your #1 Fan! cheering you on! saying "Abby, YOU.CAN.DO.THIS!"
    You are an Incredible woman, mom and wife. I KNOW you have it inside you to make it through...In time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't help but think of you and your girls during President Monson's talk this morning. I know that had to be inspired and it was meant for you and all of us aching for and with you.

    President Monson said "To understand death we must appreciate the purpose of life." I don't know if you'll ever understand in this life why Naki had to die and why you are left behind to have to deal with the constant pain of not being with him. At the same time, I know that you appreciate the purpose of life. I've heard you bear testimony of the gospel and of the plan of salvation. I've watched you for years as you've shared the hope and light of Christ with those around you by your example. I've seen you with your girls, both smiling and aching with them. You are strong and faithful and amazing! You can do this!

    I know that eventually you will find the happiness that is intended in this life and at the end of your brave journey, Naki will be waiting with open arms, so well pleased with you, and you'll never have to be apart again. I hope that you get just one instant moment, if not more, of peace and hope from conference and that you can feel Naki's love, our Savior's love, and the love of all us out here as well.

    Revelations 21:4- "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes.You.Can!! And here is the magical part...YOU.ARE!!! You've made it 6 months already!!!

    Love, mom/gma

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing it!! It is hard but you already are!!!!!! You are doing a great job !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are an amazing woman. I cry uncontrollably when I read your posts, because I can't even imagine what you're going through. You are a very strong, faithful woman and you can do it! You are doing it! Thank you for being such a strong example. We always pray for you and your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, conference is super hard with little ones...& yes, there you will receive super blessings for you efforts!...hopefully all of us mom's will:) Abby, you are doing amazing! But then again, I wouldn't expect any less from you...you ARE an amazing woman with amazing girls. And You Are Doing It! I can't imagine what the absence of your eternal companion must feel like...but he is yours forever. Life is hard & our trials aren't fair sometimes, but they shape us into who we are suppose to be. Heavenly Father knows us & our pain. We love you Abby. Here for you & your girls always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Sweet Abby, You're a mommy and you'll do it for as long as it takes because Heavenly Father made you that way, Naki wants you to do it, and you are so strong even when you think you're not. I love you.

    PS. I found a nifty thing on ON Demand from Comcast...watching Conference at night after the kids go to bed. MUCH more fulfilling. Who needs sleep anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Easter. I too thought of you during President Monsons talk this morning (which luckily wasn't too noisey from all of my girls, so I did hear most of it) and my heart ached. You are a strong woman and I am in awe of how strong you really are, even though you think you're not.
    Sending love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Abby
    I must say, for me, I do everything I can to listen to conference these days. I actually print off all those activities you can find on line for my 3 girls. Last October, I actually used them to help me take notes. It did wonders for me. The wonderful world of DVR also helps. I could pause when the girls where too loud, etc.

    The most important thing I learned about this annual conference, is that you are setting an example to your daughters about the importance of watching conference.... even if you can't listen to it. :) Saturday Morning Talk by M. Russell Ballard talked about this. If anything, by Wednesday it will be online.

    Remember that you have been an example for so many people for a long time. You were a great example for me and continue to be. Thank you for sharing all that is in your heart. It will get easier.
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was so good to see you and the girls at the football reunion dinner. Naki used to always make sure I came to those things (which I've always hated to do). Please know there are thousands of prayers going out to your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh abby, my heart is breaking for you and i am having a hard time holding back the tears. you are such a wonderful person and i hate to know that you are going thru this. i love you tons and wish the pain would go away. we all love and support you and love your family so much. hold on and keep being the strong woman you are. you will be in my prayers especially tonite. xoxo nisi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Abby I miss your posts.. you are my hero, I look up to you in so many ways. When Elder Foster from the Seventy spoke in General Conference I thought of you so much each time he said "Their Mother Knew It".. I cried a LOT. The girls know they will see their Daddy again because you KNOW IT, what a great testimony. That day will come sweet girl and this time will seem like a bad dream.
    Love you LOTS

    ReplyDelete
  18. Abby,
    I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I cant even try to imagine the pain and the loneliness that you are dealing with. Please know that you are in our families prayers. I know you husband is watching over you and your beautiful daughters and I know that Heavenly Father is watching over you too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Listening to President Monson's talk was very eye-opening for me--I thought of you and I thought of an inspired prophet who gives an inspired message and I thought of a wise Heavenly Father who is very aware of you and your suffering. You are known. You are loved. And that comes from both sides of the veil. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just want you to know that even when you don't have it in you to post on your blog, you are never far from my heart and mind! I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so amazingly strong Abby. You still went to the dinner. I dont think I'd have the strength or courage. You are awesome and like your Mom said....you are doing it and your doing a great job. Love you.

    ReplyDelete