Music has always played a powerful role in my life. It evokes emotions within me that I'm not always aware I feel and brings to the surface those emotions I've known I've felt but haven't always been able to adequately express. I love hearing my thoughts expressed and sung so beautifully. I used to find comfort in songs about true love, being parents, and about all things that tie me to this earth. A friend told me something one of her nurses told her once, and it is exactly how I feel. She said,
"Ever since my husband died, I have never felt quite the same attachment to this earthly world."
Now those songs I used to listen to, although I still love them, don't hold as much meaning for me as they once used to. I've also discovered that I do better emotionally if I do not listen to them all the time. Hearing songs that focus on things that currently do not apply to me only bring frustration, bitterness, and a never-ending stream of questions mixed with tears. Of course there is nothing wrong with these songs. But for me they interfere with my ability to think positively and to keep my eyes focused Heavenward. I have started listening to a Christian music station in the car. This music is completely uplifting, motivating, and captures my new emotions and oft times conflicted thoughts in this new reality of mine. These songs help me to think and look at my experiences through an eternal perspective rather than an earthly or temporal/temporary one. Of course, there are some I like more than others, as I hear those songs that resonate truth within me.
Enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Abby, I don't know if this will help any but that song is on YouTube.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUjL6bVD2vw
Beautiful song!
I have never heard it before it's so appropriate for what I am going through right now.
These are great songs, Ab. I've been meaning to tell you to listen to Carrie Underwood's song "Temporary Home", too. I always feel something when I hear that one.
ReplyDeleteHi! If you use mixpod.com for your playlist, it has the Matthew West song and the other ones as well. mixpod.com works the same way as your current playlist, it just has a wider variety of songs you can choose from.
ReplyDeleteThe music is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.
ReplyDeleteStudies have shown that there are lots of things that trigger emotion in us including smell, sight, and of course, music. No surprise to me that music has an effect on you. It does on me, too, and I have to choose what I listen to very carefully. Also, Christian music has its up side, as you have discovered, and can be very uplifting.
ReplyDeleteHow very insightful...to discover that there is nothing wrong with what you once enjoyed but that it simply interferes with your focus...what a life skill/life saver!! Love, mom/gma
ReplyDelete