This past little while has been the most miserable, exasperating, lonely, distraught, hopeless, depressive, and wishing-I-was-dead-too several days that I believe I have experienced in a long time. "A long time" seems somewhat strange to say, seeing as how it's only been 46 days since he's died. Hmmm...I can't believe that I've made it 46 days. I think the words 'a long time' are fitting, after all. On the first day I didn't think I would make it to the second day, let alone the 46th day.
I haven't been blogging much lately. There are several several reasons. One reason is that excluding the natural and most obvious chaos that we're experiencing around here because our Daddy is not here with us, we are in the midst of crazy house-remodeling-chaos. We are the luckiest people. We are getting to have so many fun things done inside the house right now, including brand new and stunningly beautiful windows, wall removals, rooms being painted, furniture moving (not the normal moving...this moving is through windows that needed to be removed to accomodate our favorite extra large furniture, plus furniture being passed along some massive manly shoulders, up on the roof ledge, and up through the addition window!), piano moving, closet reorganizing, kitchen emptying, more wall removal to change windows to doors, window moving, kitchen cupboard removal, kitchen sink removal!, and whole kitchen removal. Plus new appliances arriving by special mover delivery all the way from Northern Idaho spearheaded by my ever reliable mom, flooring and patio design and such, packing and organizing all kitchen drawer stuffs spearheaded by my dad, and now eating our meals in the garage. (Thanks for that, too, Grandfather!) Thank heavens for a large garage...we not only have new shelves built in there, (Thanks, guys!), but are able to store all the new kitchen appliances, old kitchen appliances, living room furniture, bikes, toys, laundry machines, microwaves, flooring, new windows, and everything else under the sun. Oh yeah, the car, too. Needless to say, it is crazy over here. Crazy, and yet fun in a strange and twisted way. Some may say this is not the best time for all of this craziness, but I say why not. It has been good for me to have something else to think about besides my misery for a change. And truthfully, it is so dang fulfilling to see all the things Naki had planned inside his head come to fruition for his house. He really wanted to do all these things so badly. And because of him and people's love for him, we're able to do it. Thank you to all of those who are giving so generously of their talents, their supplies, their connections, and their patience as we figure all of this remodel stuff out! Today we drove my mom and my brother Tim to the airport. We'd been gone a while, and it was getting close to lunch time. Eva was finished with being in the car and was anxious to get back home to eat. She whined to us, "I hungry for the garage!" Apparently, she doesn't mind eating out there. They say it may take about 2 weeks to get all of this accomplished, which in remodeling speak, is pretty amazing. That is unheard of, since they're building the cabinets and everything in that period of time. I can't wait to see all of it come together. So bittersweet. Finally getting to do all of our house dreams, but without him to enjoy it with. *sigh*
The main reason I haven't been blogging is somewhat complex. When I first started writing soon after Naki died, it was because I found that I needed an outlet of sorts to help me explore my feelings and my experience with grief and loss. It was so therapeutic for me that I would find myself thinking or processing an emotion I was feeling and knew that I just had to sit down and write it out. After doing so for a couple of weeks, I was surprised to find how many were rooting for me and were strengthened by my thoughts and words. This was something I hadn't expected, and found that Heavenly Father uses all of us and all of our experiences for each other's good. If we don't pay attention to those around us, their experiences, and at least try to learn from them, then we are fools. So I realized that I had the opportunity to use my experience for the good of others. This empowered me, and yet it crippled me. I soon found myself feeling an emotion that I would normally have written about, and yet started editing those emotions in my head before writing about them. I found myself feeling that if I actually wrote out the dark dark dark and draining thoughts and emotions that I was actually thinking or feeling, those reading would not be strengthened from my words but would instead be saddened, depressed, and discouraged. And so I would not write, but instead would go to sleep and cry. Not that I didn't do that before, but this time it was different. I wasn't healing...I felt stagnant.
One of the things I read in a book a friend gave me about how to survive the loss of a loved one is that the grieving process is not to be pictured as a slanted line that starts at the bottom and gradually and continually moves up and up. Instead, it is to be pictured as a lightening bolt. It starts at the same spot as the afore mentioned line, and in fact may start moving upward on a slant. But instead of continually moving in that direction, you may come back down in a straight unslanted line, move surprisingly forward, and shockingly back, jagged and unsmooth, jolting and painfully unpredictable. That is exactly how this whole thing feels. I was so furious on the 2nd day after his death. I got through that bout of anger and felt relieved when it was over. I naively thought that *Whew!*...I've made it through the anger. Little did I know that it was only the tip of the iceberg. I've been revisiting anger for the past week, and it's been a doosey. No one should have to experience this kind of anger. I thought I was dealing with it, until one night I woke up in a cold sweat from a series of dreams in which I was beating up anyone I met with a 2x4. I was pretty fierce, and the worst part was that I didn't feel any remorse, whatsoever. Apparently, I'm pretty damn mad. Yes, I said damn. I've also discovered that I can swear up a good blue streak. So far, only in my mind. I'm working super hard on controlling it and not developing any mental habits that I don't want hanging around forever. But truthfully sometimes those words are the only words that can honestly express the anger that I feel oozing from my soul. I had a heartbreaking moment this past weekend at my niece's baptism, when I realized that I had been holding so hard onto this anger...I was enjoying being furious beyond description. It occurred to me while I sat there at that beautiful service that if I don't work through this anger, and decide to not hold on to it as my new identity, then I will in fact carry it with me beyond this life. If there is anything I know for sure, it's that you can't take your "things", your mortal possessions, with you after this life is over. What you can take with you is what you have learned, your knowledge, who you've become, and the love or hate you've developed towards the people you encounter in this life. It was a shocking moment for me to realize that when I die, if it was tomorrow, that I would carry that horribly drowning, strangling, and suffocating feeling of hatred towards my Heavenly famly and myself forever. There would be no hugging going on, only a bunch of punching, kicking, screaming, crying, etc...heaven help us all if I happen upon a 2x4 there...So, now I'm working, AGAIN, on getting through my extreme anger.
That, in a not-so-short summation, is why I haven't been writing. I've been worried that I wouldn't help anyone by being so negative and quite frankly, a huge downer. But, I had a huge realization this past weekend that writing is not for anyone reading but is in fact part of MY healing process. If I offend, sadden, or depress anyone, I apologize. But just hang in there...on this lightening bolt-shaped ride of grief, there are some really horrible moments. I worried that they would get old and repetitive. But now I know that it is important that they repeat...they teach me over and over again the doctrines that will help me heal. One time just isn't enough. I need lots and lots of repitition of the teachings of the Savior that heal and purify. And so, just like the awful and wishing-you-weren't-alive moments, there are hopeful and uplifting moments as well. Currently, there are more of the former, but I can hope that the balance will gradually shift and change, and jolt me back to a new and better place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thank you so much for posting your feelings. I've been feeling a little bit hopeless because anger has taken over my life. I can't even figure out why I am so angry, but if you can overcome your anger with the words of our Savior, then I have hope that I can overcome mine.
ReplyDeleteI dont know you personally, but Im so grateful for you and your blog. Just last week I was having a wishing I wasn't alive moment and then I remembered your previous post about the in the infinite power of hope. Thank you! You're in my prayers much aloha!
ReplyDeleteDo all the processing you need to. We're here to support and pray for you- even when things are depressing and discouraging.
ReplyDeleteAlso, consider that God knows the thoughts and intents of your heart. If you were to die tomorrow, even with all of the anger, I have to think that He would know you were moving in the right direction.
I am so glad you are back! Even if you are having a "dark day" don’t be afraid to share your feelings with us. That is one of the reasons I follow your blog I find you so real.
ReplyDeleteTwo week remodeling! that is awesome!! Please share it with us and post photos...When you find the time that is, Love ya!!!!!
Well Little Sister, I quess I have taught you a thing or two.. LOL the swear words MOM!!! LOL. I quess I have to look at life a little different. Because I am the one with the HATE inside me and the anger. Thank you Abby, for teaching me that lesson! You are loved!!!!
ReplyDeleteYes Thank you for posting again. I too feel that I like reading this blog because you are so real. I am also happy to hear about the remodeling process and that so many people are still helping you and your little family. You deserve it all. Do not worry about what anyone will think of how you feel. It is true and that is what matters. :)
ReplyDeleteWrite your little heart out girlie! Do it for yourself!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through my friend Randi B. And your mom just spoke at my ward RS thing. I have been wanting to leave a comment ever since I started reading but I have felt like it wasn't my place to comment on such personal posts. I hope it doesn't creep you out that I am a perfect stranger and I am addicted to your blog. Your tragedy takes my breath away and I have been praying for you and putting your name in the temple...I love your blog because you are so real. I am a big believer on putting it all out there. I think that is the best thing we can do as sisters in the gospel. The last thing I want is for anyone to think I am perfect and then use me as some sort of spiritual thermometer. So thank you for being you. And pleas DO NOT filter your thoughts. Anger is real and you are not the first Christian woman to be angry at God. Those emotions are what make us human. Clearly you are an amazing person and the way you are coping with this "beyond belief" grief does not define you. Your 2x4 dream actually made me laugh out loud because that could totally be me and I haven't experienced a loss as deep as yours.
ReplyDeleteHang in there. I know how thereaputic remodeling/decorating can be. That is what I did during my trial of infertility/adoption.
God Bless you and your precious little ones.
Everyone who reads this blog loves you and wants to hear what you have to say, whether it's all glittery and shiny or dark and hollow. There isn't a manual for how to grieve appropriately so go for it. If you can't do it in front of us, who can you do it in front of? And if you aren't honest, how do we know what to do?
ReplyDeleteI love you, sweetie!
I have felt the same way as Jessica. I too have wanted to leave a comment, but haven't yet because you don't know me. I found your blog through a link posted on a friends Facebook page. I have been obsessed with reading your blog ever since, as you have such a way with words.
ReplyDeleteOn that note, my sister lost her son about 1 1/2 yrs ago. She is a closet griever and that has been terribly difficult to watch. We are best friends and not knowing how to comfort her has been so difficult. It has been amazing to read your blog and although I realize that the loss of a child and a spouse are very different, it is still helping me to understand the thoughts that might go on in her head. (the things she doesn't talk about...)
But what I really want to tell you is that I feel the same as the others and don't wish for you to gloss over how you are truly feeling. Your blog...your thoughts, good, bad, sad, angry have been helping to strengthen my marriage.
Thank you for allowing us into a very personal part of your life....a part I don't even know about with my own sister. I am grateful for you and for your amazing strength...
~Melissa
Abby, I found your blog from the paper announcing Naki's death and have been an avid reader ever since. I second all the comments thus far--keep it real and don't be afraid of offending anyone. As daughters of God we need to be able to voice our concerns, fears, and frustrations as well as our joys. And finding those joys especially after such tramatic trials is theraputic for all of us. So, please, keep the posts coming and know you are loved, even by those who don't know you personally (at least in this mortal life). And thank you for being so honest and forthright!
ReplyDeleteThis stepping into the darkness thing is at times scarey, at times depressing, but at times a moment of great personal revelation. Things are blackest just before the dawn. Your blogs are wonderfully insightful and therpeutic for others as well as yourself. Hang in there. There are hundreds of people praying for you, concerned about you, and frankly, going through similar pains. At least half of us will see our beloved companion leave this painful existence before we do. You are a wonderful example to me of how to face that most scarey time.
ReplyDeleteI could just ditto everything that everyone else has said. You are beautiful, Abs. The next time someone is grieving in my circle, I hopefully will have an even better understanding of what they may possibly be going through because you are brave enough to share your feelings and insights. Please don't change a thing. Your realism is what makes you who you are, so wonderful and beloved. Love you tons, thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteYou are so amazing! You have blessed more lives then you will ever know. I know it stinks that those "house" dream you and Naki dreamed are happening when he is not here to share them with you. I remember a blessing my husband recieved before he died that told him he would always proivde for his family even if he wasn't "here" to do it. As time has gone by I have seen and experienced those things and times when somehow he is still blessing our lives and providing for us! Naki is still caring for his sweet family ans I imagine it wont ever stop! Enjoy those dream you made together!!! I know it might be hard now, but what a great blessing it is. Thank you for touching my life! Hang in there!!!!-Marci Akagi
ReplyDeleteI love reading regardless of what you post Abby. You are a REAL human and I feel that I learn just as much from any post.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting that you are getting all the remodeling done. You'll have to post some pics when it's all done.
Hang in there...we love you and pray for you guys daily!
~ Heather and Co.
Abby,
ReplyDeleteI don't remember how I came across your blog, but I've been reading for a while now. I'm sure you will never know how amazing you are.
I get the swearing thing. I lost my mom last year and many days the only word to describe the experience is -shit- (and various forms of said word).
I've since realized that one of the greatest gifts of the spirit, as well as an important part of the baptismal covenant, is to be able to mourn with those that mourn. So often it's our first reaction to try to *comfort* those that mourn, but that isn't how it needs to be. Sucky things suck (pardon the use of the forbidden word). One of my favorite scriptures is "Jesus wept". He didn't cry because it would never be okay, he cried because it wasn't okay right then and his friends were hurting.
Anyway- I don't know why I felt the need to leave a rambling comment full of my crying-in-the-shower epiphanies, but I just wanted to say thank you for your honesty, I'm sorry for your loss, and I wish you the best.
~Courtney
You are an amazing woman. Thank you for writing again and sharing your thoughts with us. I ditto all that has been written from the comments.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting to be remodeling! Hope all goes well and that your house is beautiful once again.
Abby, I am not sure if you are aware that Naki had a cousin who passed away a year and a few months ago of heart disease. He was 34 with four kids and was an avid surfer amongst many things. It was a shock to us all. We love Les so much. Les and Naki's grandmother's are sisters, as is my grandmother. Since then his death has been a challenge to understand and your words have brought many unknown thoughts to life. And I thank you for sharing your experiences so that we can be more understanding. If you are interested in knowing about Les.... he has a blog as well. I think if you google Les Falatea you can find it. Aloha from the Hawaii relatives:)
ReplyDeleteAbby- I don't personally know you, but wanted to let you know that your blog and way with words is so amazing to me. You're a very brave women. Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration.
ReplyDeleteSo of course I'm just reading this after talking to you on the phone today and not realizing when you said it was a hard week how really difficult it was. You weren't kidding! I'm sorry about those lightning bolts. Thank you for sharing how awful it is. Your words are still strengthening, even if they are not always full of happiness and hope. You are still so amazing and I love you!
ReplyDeleteYour dream made me laugh because I honestly can't imagine you hurting a soul. Maybe a good punching bag would be a great addition to that garage once you stop having your meals in there, huh?
Hi! You dont know me personally. Your sweet husband sang in my ward for a fireside. I am sorry for your loss and the saddness that you are experiencing! I also have 6 kids and couldnt imagine. You have really given me so much strengh thru your blog. Your are definatly being guided by angels!! Thanks for your sharing!!!!!
ReplyDeleteDang those lightning bolts! Slanted lines are so much easier. Great post and thank you for your honesty. I love you x a million!
ReplyDeleteIN REAL LIFE I love lightning bolts but for that theme it makes feel so good for everybody that i need to see whatever they are!! love,tim\uncle tim
ReplyDelete