Last night turned out to be an interesting one. Eva decided unbeknownst to us or her, I'm sure, to share whatever bug she had the other night with three of her other sisters. They all decided to let me know they were feeling uckky simultaneously. Well, technically, Ane fell back asleep after she threw up, but the other two were up all night, moaning and groaning, heaving and hurling, and were very unhappy about the entire situation. Grandfather was especially concerned about Ane being sick again in her bed and perhaps something going terribly wrong in the process and so decided to set up camp outside her bedroom door on the floor. I'm sure it couldn't have been all that comfortable. I set up camp in the living room, but really didn't sleep and spent most of the night rubbing backs and trying my best to comfort and reassure them. I felt so terrible for my babies! Who likes to throw up? They have been trying to recover throughout the day today. Eli seems to be doing the best out of all three...we'll see what kind of night we have tonight. As a result of being sick, Lose missed her first ever Halloween Costume parade that the school has every year. She was, needless to say, very very bummed. She and I are both hoping that she can get feeling better so that she can have her game face on for tomorrow's trick or treating marathon.
What is it about Halloween? I'm just not a big fan. I don't think I ever have been. I was trying to describe it to some friends today while Eva and I were waiting for the parade to begin. I think I dislike it so much because it puts me in the situation of trying to create something, specifically the costumes, out of nothing. I'm just not creative in that way. It's not just that I can't think of how to portray a certain costume, but I struggle to think of what costumes to do at all! Add to that my desire to make sure that the girls always like whatever costume we can come up with and that they don't feel that they don't have a good costume because we don't go out and buy them, and it just gets a bit draining for me. It's one of those things that I'm always grateful is over.
The one thing, and possibly the only thing, that I do like about this holiday is the pumpkin carving. I'm not sure why I like it, but I do. Well, I suppose that's not entirely accurate. I like making sure that my kids get to do it, and I love the way it smells, and the way the light shines out of them when they're finished, but I don't actually enjoy the carving. Naki and I had a great arrangement that we perfected over the years. He would help the kids figure out what design they wanted, help them get said design onto the pumpkin, and would help get all the carving done. I, meanwhile, would be making the caramel apples covered with milk and white chocolate drizzles. Wait a minute...no wonder I love this part of the holiday. It's because I don't have to do it and it gets done! I enjoy the tradition of it and the nostalgia it holds for me, the fact that Naki loves doing it with them, I enjoy eating the treats, but most of all I enjoy that it all gets done and I don't have to do any of the work! Luckily my earthly angels came to my rescue tonight. My sister Connie and her husband Steve came down from Nevada tonight with their kiddos and with their efforts and my Dad's incredible cutting and clean up duties, together they got it done. Check. Cross it off of my list. I wanted to make sure that it got done, even though I really didn't want to do it. The Grief Therapist told me that one of the worst things I could ever do right now for the kids would be to remove the traditions that they hold dear. Those traditions are linked in their hearts and minds to their Dad.
I thought we'd made it through another Dadless experience, much like the pumpkin picking, without any difficulty. But we had a grieving moment, Line and I. She was having parental listening troubles and we were discussing that. It became clear to me that it had much less to do with where she was getting dressed after her shower, or whether or not she'd brushed her hair. She was able to express to me that she is having much trouble finding any type of joy in any of her life right now. Not just in these traditions we're trying to continue, but in her day to day actions as well. She just said that more than anything she just wants him to hold her, to talk to her, and to tell her the things she needs to hear from him. I told her that no one expects her to find joy in the fact that her Dad is gone and that we all want those things from our Dad and that it's not even remotely realistic for her to expect to feel joyfull as a result of his death. It is, however, realistic to expect that you will someday experience joy despite his death. Naki is a down to earth kind of guy, and so I was always surprised when he would tell me about the impact that your positive thoughts can have on your life...kind of like karma, I guess. I tried my best to pass this belief of his on to Line...that she can be sad. That's okay. But she has to remember that in order to grow and to move on with the expectation of happiness and joy in her life she needs to continue to hope for it, and have a positive outlook on just the possibility and her desire to have joy. It reminds me so much of Alma 32: 27 in the Book of Mormon. As a matter of fact, she and I read that scripture together earlier this week.
"But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even unil ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words."
This sweet girl is struggling...as I'm sure all of them are. She just has never possessed the ability to withhold her thoughts and feelings...they're all right there on her sleeve. I can't wait for Grief Therapy to start...we start attending weekly on the 12th of November. I feel very strongly about the good that grief therapy will do for our little family. I CAN'T WAIT to get started.
Grief is filled with the "expecteds" and the "unexpecteds". I have to tell you. One of the most disturbing unexpecteds I've encountered thus far is the amount of people, mostly complete strangers, who feel entitled to counsel me in a disturbing and quite frankly disrespectful way. I have lost count of how many people have told me not to worry about being alone, because with my young age and good looks (who knew) I won't be alone for long because I'll be swooped up and remarried in no time at all. Really, people. The only reason I haven't taped their mouths shut is because I know that they mean it in the kindest way they know how. I see it like this. A. They feel so badly for me. B. They feel awkward and uncomfortable and are completely unsure about what to say. C. They themselves would never want to be widowed and alone for the rest of their lives. and D. They just plain don't think before they speak. (I had to add D because that's been me on a number of occasions, and I feel for others who are like me.) For reasons A thru D, I feel more badly for them than I do for me. I have, however, learned what to say. When they tell me not to worry, I won't be alone for long, I tell them that my husband was the first person to ever make me feel beautiful and I prefer to be alone than to try and replace that. Or I tell them that I actually like to be alone because the thought of being with anyone other than my Baby makes me nauseous. Or I tell them that no man could ever replace my girlies' Dad in their or my heart. Or I ask them if they want me to hold my palm out so they could possibly read the rest of my future for no charge. Okay, so I don't actually say any of those things. But really, why do people feel so entitled to give me advice like that? I wonder often if they can actually hear themselves. But, I remember many times when friends of mine were grieving from a loss and I myself just didn't know what to say to them, and I so desperately wanted to say something that would appease just a portion of their pain. So I've chosen to believe, out of the goodness of my heart, that these poorly informed people just want to help me feel better. I just smile and graciously say "That's so kind of you.." and leave it at that. See how wise and nice I can be?
Yesterday I had an appointment with the Social Security offices, which went smoothly, by the way. On my way there I got a call from a friend who I'm learning I have more and more in common with. She lost a baby about 5 years ago and has been so helpful for me throughout the last 2 weeks. She was telling me about how some days you sail right through and others you encounter a "Surprise of the Day". She'd discovered that there were moments when her emotions would catch her off guard. Those emotions and whatever triggered them were called the Surprise of the Day. I loved what she calls those moments. I told her I was going to start using that. I quickly thereafter received my Surprise of the Day. I was sitting in my Social Security appointment, waiting while the employee helping me was entering all of our applications for benefits. I started scrolling through my text message conversations to see which I could delete, which numbers I didn't have programmed into my phone, etc. Imagine my shock when as I was scrolling through I came unexpectedly on the last conversation, through text messages, that Naki and I had with each other. As I sat there at the desk across from this sweet little helper, I read the words "On my way home..." with his name right beside it. It so caught me off guard that tears started to roll down my cheeks. Poor little Angie, or maybe it was Ashley, my assigned worker, didn't know what to do with me. I found it so fitting that the last thing he said to me, through text, the night before he died, was that he was on his way "home". Can't wait to be home with you, Naki. Love you and miss you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow, what a great father you have, camping out in the hall! It has been a long time since I've read that scripture- thank you so much for sharing it. I hope your sweet little family gets better soon- you wouldn't want them to miss the opportunity to get sick off candy...right? ;)
ReplyDeleteIt is so wonderful to read this and see first hand how close Naki and our Father in Heaven are with you right now. Your heart is such a holy place. Your spirit and sensitivity seriously inspire me to keep moving forward and practice faith so I too can "believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.' and all the words heaven has for me to hear.
Have a great day!
-Susan
Great Post Abby, I really appreciate your taking the time to write. I hurt for the girls when I hear what Line is experiencing. I'm sure that all of them are in that kind of situation, but Line is the most capable of expressing it. I also look forward to hearing about the grief sessions.
ReplyDeleteIf I may say, Naki would be so proud of the way you've chosen to react to all the "helpful advice" you've been receiving. Taking your attitude is something that we all know is right, but easier said than done. You go Girl!
Okay Abby..I just can't help but check back every day...you truly are inspiring. I feel bad that while you are struggling through this sorrow, you are helping me grow. Almost selfish. Anyway...please know that my heart is still overflowing with love, kindness, and concern for your family. Good work getting the pumpkins done, mine are still sitting in my van uncarved (oops). Maybe this afternoon! We love you guys!
ReplyDeleteLove, Heather (Frank and kids)
I, myself, do not like halloween either! It is definitley the costume thing and the whole scary, evil thing- ug, I hate it.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear that people are saying things like that, that would upset me also. Good for you for handling it so well. You truely are an amazing person Abby. What a beautiful conversation you had with Line. Hope in all things. Thank you for sharing.
Your honesty is truly a blessing to those around you. You never know who is watching and listening. Without you knowing, you are teaching and informing others about empathy, grief, expectations and love. Love you Abby!
ReplyDeleteLike Heather I feel like I grow spiritually every time I read your blogs. Your amazing Abby Maile! I cant imagine what people think when they say those things to you, I hope it's no one I know. Because like the girl found out at the BYU game last week, I'm not as nice as I look. lol I'm sorry but that's just plain rude. They just don't know what you and I know about the Maile men. They are irreplaceable!
ReplyDeleteJr. lately has been saying...I cant wait to be an old man, I want to be old, I want to be a Grandpa...I'm just ready to see my brother again. I just say..well,let's get our work done quickly and the right way and you will. I love you Abby.
I made it through that whole post until the end with the text from Naki. Sometimes I wonder how in the world you are holding it all together and I think that it could only be with divine strength from Naki and your heavenly father. I'm sorry for stupid things people say. Although not NEAR on the scale you are, when I would lose babies I would get stuff like that. You are awesome. Nough said.
ReplyDeleteOH my goodness, what a text message. I managed to not cry until the end of this post. You're so sneaky...
ReplyDeleteYou are doing so well, Abby. You are plowing right through the thick of this grieving thing because already you have recognized that you can't wait it out and hope it will just go away, skirt around the edges, leap over the top of it, put on your TJ Maxx sneakers and race through it blindfolded, or otherwise avoid the dirty work of grieving.
It's so interesting to see the little microcosm of your family and enlightening to read about the different reactions in your 6 lovely girls and yourself. It's more confirmation that there just isn't a "right" way to grieve. Everyone has to make their own tear soup according to their own tastes and inclinations.
As far as the comments made to you... LOL, I can TOTALLY relate... like.... TOTALLY:
"Well, look on the bright side: you wanted two more babies, Justin wanted one more; so, you both kind of got what you wanted, right?"
"It's a good thing Dex died or the boys might have fought their whole lives and then it would have made it harder to get into heaven." ???
"Well, at least you don't have to be up all night with both of them! Imagine that!!"
And a few others...
Abby, you are amazing. And what a good friend you have to give you some words of advice regarding the, "the surprise of the day"! That way when it comes you have a place to put it. I, like your other readers, am so strengthened by reading your posts! I am praying for you and praying that I can be more like you. Love you.
ReplyDeleteAbby,
ReplyDeleteThank you again for continuing to post. I continue to have 'Surprise of the Day' occasionally even 4 years after losing Earl's mom. Sometimes it is just a fleeting thought of "why can't she be here to experience her grandchildren" other times it is a total meltdown on my part.
Yesterday when you emailed me and it came across my inbox as "J. Amanaki Maile" I had a small little 'Surprise of the Day' in regards to Naki. He will always influence our lives.
I remember when I taught Line's primary class. She has always been so in touch with the spirit. I hope that, with time, she will be able to feel joy in spite of losing her dad.
I am so proud of you for handling those insensitive thoughts that people are sharing with you. I'm afraid I would be yelling at them, or just staring at them with my mouth wide open.
I'm so grateful that your family is here able to help keep up the traditions that are so important for your girls.
I can't wait to hear more about Grief Counseling. I pray that it will be what you and your girls need it to be.
Love,
Teri
Abby, I know I just saw you at the school yesterday and I told you that you are in our family prayers, but I also want you to know how beautiful you are! I look up to you and your "girlies" so much and I am amaized by your stories and how you are sharing with everyone. I only wish I could be as strong as you and I am striving to have a stronger testimony of the Gospel like you do! Like everyone who reads your blog, I love what you are sharing and I'm grateful that I'm getting to know you better through your stories. I gave you our numbers yesterday at the school and we both want you to use them whenever you want...really! I'm always looking forward to hearing your next story, and I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteLove, Heather
Jason had a sister that lost her fiance unexpectedly and he was 30. She said the worst thing people would say to her is "You just need to move on", or "You will move on". She said she did not want to move on. She unfortunatly does not have the gospel in her life. The gospel is a wonderful thing we have. It doesn't lessen the pain it just gives us all hope. We hope that you and the girls have the comfort of the Holy Ghost everyday. Naki is a great father and husband.
ReplyDeleteStephanie
Hi Abby! I kind of wish this was like facebook and I could just private message you...(i'm new to this blogging stuff) Anyways, tonight is Halloween, obviously. I was really excited this year because we have all three kids, and the two eldest are old enough to realize and know what’s going on. We got our costumes ready a month ahead of time (including mines & Bens costumes), and had special plans for tonight. We started our week off by carving pumpkins for FHE. Na’ne is now 3 and was pretty excited about “carving,” of course after I explained to her what we were going to do, and showed her examples of the neighbors carved pumpkins. Since years ago when Naki would post pictures from your family’s carving activities I loved and always told myself “when I have a family, I’m going to be like Naki & Abby’s family.” I loved how the kids would draw what they wanted their pumpkin to look like, and then there would be a picture of the actual carved pumpkin, an exact replica of the picture drawn. I always remember viewing the pictures on the Maile family website, seeing the kids’ smiles and being able to tell the way their eyes lit up as they stood next to their carved pumpkins with their drawn pictures in hand. I loved being able to read from their expressions that they had a tradition set by their parents that was dear to them. I really wanted to emulate that spirit in my own home and family by following your family and setting that same tradition with mines.
ReplyDeleteWedensday we attended our wards trunk or treat, and of course the kids had a blast as they learned the meaning to “trick or treat.” –This also gave them more anxiety to go out and trick or treat on Halloween. By the time Thursday night came around, all three kids came down with the flu. Na’ne developed the stomach flu last night on top of the aches and pains; hence we were all bummed we wouldn’t be able to attend our other families in trick or treating. When I woke up this morning I was still pretty bummed about the whole idea of just staying home as any other night. As I laid on the couch (as if I were the sick child!!) in a grumpy mood I thought of your family. I first thought of how I set the same tradition w/ my own kids’ carving activity. As I began to think of that I remembered Naki’s blog of when he stayed home w/ the girls and created a slumber party for the girls. Just thinking of your family helped me get my motivation back. I anxiously got up, went to the nearest store searching for Halloween décor, but NOTHING left! …SO I begged the cashier to sell me the stores ghosts & bat decorations that were hanging above the liquor aisle (b/c all the stores were packed today w/ last minute people like me shopping for Halloween décor). When I got home, we all got ready in our costumes, we hung our decorations up and we created our own Halloween trick or treat party. It’s goin on 9pm now, but since about 12pm we’ve been celebrating in our own way/party :)
I’m sorry this is so long, but the moral is, your family is an inspiration. I’m not just writing this to you just b/c Naki passed away and all of a sudden I think you’re “great.” NO, I have always admired you and Naki, and I have always thought you are great! I’ve always loved how you and Naki are so family oriented. There have been times in my “parenting-age” where I have felt like I’m missing out on things – but honestly right when I think of families like yours, it takes all that “missing out (on nothing!)” away, and makes me so grateful I am not just a mother, but a “Mommy.”
We Love you All!! Lose, Ben & the kids :)
I am Troy's sister. I have read several of your recent posts, and just want to express my heart-ache for you and your beautiful daughters. Your strength is inspiring, and the wisdom & insight you have in handling each day & situation is truly amazing! You are a great writer, and I am grateful for the opportunity to visit your blog & feel your influence for good. Thank you for sharing at such a difficult time.
ReplyDeleteYou are truly inspiring! I love reading your blog everyday to see how you're doing and how much faith and wisdom you have!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with everyone.
ReplyDeleteI too am not a fan of Halloween but this year (and next) we are going to be better. The kids love it... and I think I loved it as a kid.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I read your blogs, I find myself in tears. I understand what you are saying and I'm so grateful for my husband and children. As it is 3 AM and I can't sleep, I check on all of them. You really have helped me understand love. I've always understood it, but now I'm appreciating my loved ones more. Thank you again for putting your words out there.
Also, if you don't own the Hilary Weeks CD "If I only Had Today"... I recommend getting it. It will touch your heart so much and so many songs will help you.
You know that I tend to be kind of a big fan of all holidays, with Halloween as no exception. If you ever need help with those costume ideas, I have plenty! Send your girls my way! I think they always look so great though! You do a wonderful job!!
ReplyDeleteI saw your girlies walking home from school the other day and overheard their conversation about carving pumpkins with their Dad. It sounded like they have some wonderful memories of that tradition. It is so good you are keeping those traditions going because the girls are definitely linked to Naki because of them. I hope that by continuing to do them they will begin to feel the joy in them again.
I am so sorry about the mindless comments people make and I am sorry if I've ever made any myself in my attempt to say the right words. I actually had someone make that comment about you getting remarried to me and I had a hard time not taping their mouth shut on the spot. I was really taken back. They obviously had never seen the two of you together, so in love, and such a team. You are amazing for handling it with such grace. Thank you for inspiring me every day, Abby!!
A friend of mine shared your blog and I am just amazed! You are truly an amazing Daughter of God!! You are so real and down to earth. Your sweet family is so blessed to have you as their Mom. Thank you so very much for sharing your experiences and wisdom with us. Truly Inspiring!! Hope you are all on the mends with the yucky puke! I stayed home from church with my little guy, he's under the weather : ( Take care!
ReplyDeleteTwo stories about me about pumpkin carving: 1) Was about me throwing up on Cassie; and 2) Was me pumpkin carving with you guys and I made my pumpkin not a face...I made mine MW for my old hobby...which was MechWarrior! Love, Tim/Uncle Tim
ReplyDeleteSo...who better to call when you have a "Surprise of the Day!" than your mamma... While mild in comparison, I am sure, I have my own "Surprises of the Day!" and am now extremely grateful to have a name for the game my emotions continue to play! Love, mom/gma
ReplyDelete